Medical Expense Support for Foreigners
Hello. This is Gwanak 5 Nuribom team.
Here is some information about medical expense support service for foreigners. These will help you keep your life safe with financial aid.
The medical expense support service supports homeless, Foreign workers, their spouses, and children (foreigners), marriage immigrants who have not yet obtained nationality and their children, Refugees and their children. But there are a lot of other details to take into consideration. Please refer to the information below.
+ Foreign workers, their spouses, and children (foreigners)
- A person who has worked or is currently working at a domestic workplace without having a Korean nationality
- Pregnant spouses only
- Children under 18 years of age only
+ marriage immigrants who have not yet obtained nationality and their children
- Foreign nationals who are married (not including common-law marriage) to Korean spouses
- Foreign nationals who have not obtained Korean citizenship due to restrictions on nationality acquisition by other laws, etc.
- A person under the age of 18 who has children of marriage immigrants before acquiring nationality
+ Refugees and their children
- A person with refugee recognition
- A person who has applied for refugee recognition (including a person in a lawsuit)
- A person who has been granted permission to stay for humanitarian reasons
- children under 18 years of age
Direct implementers are National Medical Center, Local Medical Center, Red Cross Hospital. Indirect implementers are Cities and Counties, ministrative agency (Eup,Myun,Dong office), health center. Other places include Rafael Clinic (free clinic for migrant workers), etc.
1) Support Principles
In principle, foreign workers who cannot receive support under the existing medical security system, such as health insurance and medical benefits, should be provided with medical expenses when hospitalized or in need of surgery. In principle, outpatient care is not suitable for support.
In the event of injury caused by a traffic accident or assault, etc., a person is not eligible for support (cases of domestic violence are supported).
2) Scope of Support
o Hospitalization and surgery (including outpatient surgery on the day)
o Outpatient care for children of foreign workers, married immigrants, refugees, etc. before obtaining nationality
o Prenatal examination and childbirth related to the pregnancy of a spouse of a foreign worker
3) Support Costs
o Support 90% of the total medical expenses incurred from hospitalization to discharge, and 10% of the total medical expenses are paid by patient(Myself)
o Support within 5 million won per time
o There is No limit on annual application number.
4) Application method
First. Apply to designated medical institutions from the 16 cities and provinces (excluding Sejong-Si)
Second. Service provided by a designated medical institution in the city or province
<Related to the project of providing medical expenses(how to support medical institutions)>
These are descriptions of how services are executed in the country. It may not be the information you need to receive the service, but many institutions and officers are providing the information for transparency.
1. Ministry of Health and Welfare notifies local governments (city/province) of plans to grant state subsidies
2. Local governments (City/Province) apply for government subsidies in accordance with the budget of the 1st grant plan
3. The medical institution that implements the project requests the Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service for examination of medical expenses.
4. Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service notifies medical institutions and local governments (City/Province) of the results of the examination.
5. The medical institution that implements the project claims medical expenses to local governments (City/Province) by attaching the results of the medical expenses examination by the Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service.
6. Local governments (City/Province) execute the budget allocated based on the results of the audit.
7. Local governments (City/Province) apply to the Ministry of Health and Welfare for adjustment of the budget for the second half of the year, and measures to return the balance of the budget to the National Treasury
8. The Ministry of Health and Welfare adjusted the budget for the second half of the year in consideration of the budget execution performance of local governments (City/Province) in the first half of the year.
->After the above procedure, the applicant is provided with post-settlement in principle.
This is the everything we prepared. We hope it will be useful in emergencies even if it is not necessary at the moment.